Bloomington, Indiana – The Saint John of Damascus Society, founded in 2011, is a new sacred arts organization that seeks to promote excellence in the liturgical music of the Orthodox Christian Church, regardless of ethnic/national heritage of style, as well as support related outreach, educational, and academic efforts. We are pleased to announce our new publication, Paraklitiki: The Journal of the Saint John of Damascus Society. Publication in both print and electronic form will be twice-yearly, and the first issue will appear in June 2014. The language of the journal will be English.
Paraklitiki welcomes quality essays and articles dealing with any aspect of Orthodox liturgical music, monophonic and polyphonic, including history, theory, pedagogical matters and performance practice, theological issues, language, music as outreach, source studies, cultural aspects, and interplay with vernacular music. New compositions are also welcome, regardless of style, heritage, or type of notation.
Submissions should adhere
to the following guidelines:
- Submissions are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Conformity to the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition, as appropriate to the piece.
- Length may vary depend on topic and treatment; in general, submissions longer than 5,000 words may either be edited or split across issues.
- Previously published material will not be accepted. Pieces that have been previously disseminated electronically (e.g., as a blog post or in a message forum) will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please inquire via e-mail in this case.
- Applicant’s name and contact information should appear only on a cover page.
- Articles, essays, and reviews should be submitted in MS Word format.
- Scores should be digitally typeset and submitted in PDF format.
Books and recordings will also be reviewed; review copies should be sent to The Saint John of Damascus Society, 2609 Spicewood Lane, Bloomington, IN 47401 ATTN: Paraklitiki.
Please send all manuscripts, as well as any queries concerning possible submissions, to email@example.com and please ensure that the subject line of the e-mail begins with the word “SUBMISSION” in all-caps.